Getting a new roof is a common procedure for homeowners, but there is a lot involved, a lot to consider, and a lot of unknowns. Often, people don’t really know what to expect when they are having their roof replaced. Here are some key things to be aware of during a roof replacement.
Most homeowners will conduct some research before committing to a specific roofing company. They might look online, chat with friends and family, or drive around their neighbourhood checking out the lawn signs.
Once you’ve selected your roofer, you should know that they will not give you a quote over the phone — a contractor will want to come and see your home firsthand.
The contractor for the roofing company will:
- Examine the existing roof and assess the measurements
- Look for existing problems
- Check out potential difficult work areas
- Examine space around the home for dumpsters and supplies
- Discuss the various roofing material options with you
All of this information will enable the roofing company to provide you with an accurate quote and a timeline to have the work completed.
Once you’ve been given a start date for your roof replacement, you will want to prepare both the inside and outside of your home — and you’ll probably want to make plans to be away from your home as you don’t want to be going and in out while the work is being done.
Your preparation can include:
- Moving delicate items away from the exterior sides of your home
- Covering plants with tarps to prevent potential damage
- Closing windows and doors to prevent dust and dirt from entering your home
- Moving patio or porch furniture out of the workspace
- Ensuring that items inside your home (e.g. artwork and breakables) are secured so that the vibrations from the work don’t result in any potential breakage
If appropriate, you may wish to notify your neighbours. It’s a nice gesture to let your neighbours know about noise and potential mess. Besides, you may need to ask about parking in their driveway during the work period!
Getting your roof replaced doesn’t have to be pain if you plan properly. At LP Platinum, we’re here to answer any of your questions and will happily take the time to make sure you feel comfortable with the process. Check out our frequently asked questions on our website, and give us a call today!